Old November 14th 04, 07:24 PM

Default Need a low shutter lag point and shoot digital

Hi. I need some help. I want to get a small
point and shoot digital camera, but I am concerned
about the shutter lag. Please do not recommend a
DSLR, as I have a Canon 1D Mark II and 10D cameras
and plenty of lenses to go with them. I'm looking
for something small, some specs that are important
to me:

5 megapixels or larger,
auto, manual, aperture priority modes,
3x optical zoom minimum, with autofocus,
built in flash,
compact flash I (and type II would be nice) cards,
under about $500,
reasonably low shutter lag for this type of camera.

Nice but not necessary: raw mode output.

The question is, what is a reasonably low shutter
lag on such cameras these days? I can't seem to find
many specs. Lag only seems to be mentioned rarely
in reviews, and the manufacturers do not seem to
give it. Does someone know of a site (especially a
table that compares the lag times, measured in a uniform
way) with lag times? I want lag time from shutter press,
autofocus, exposure calculation to release of the shutter,
and I do not consider lag time with manual focus to be
relevant for my purposes.

I have a Canon G1 and shutter lag is awful. It often seems
to take 0.5 to 1 second or longer to acquire focus and shoot.
(Of course this is quite maddening after using the 1D Mark II
with its 40 millisecond lag ;-).

One camera that I am looking at is the Canon A95, but I
can not find shutter lag info. It also only uses
compact flash type I.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks in advance,

Roger