Old January 5th 15, 04:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default D7000 Liveview switch

On Sun, 4 Jan 2015 15:36:58 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article 1774374209441418833.263615nige.danton-
, says...

"Ian" wrote:

Hello Nigel. These switches are small and it might be that the mechanism is
binding/jammed and that moving it gently and slightly in different
directions might free it. I've found this with other small switches where
the switch mechanism has very little leeway in movement for it to bind. I
suspect they are much more of a compromise, mechanically, than switches of a
larger size.
The inbuilt flash of my DSLR had problems for a while and needed a push to
pop up (this had to be a prompt push otherwise the camera would decide that
the flash was faulty and go into fault mode). After a while the flash
settled down in its pivots and is now back in normal working order.

Coincidentally, it's partially freed itself now. It's still very stiff and
is slow to return, but at least it's sort-of working. I've rarely used it
in the past but I've recently bought a set of extension tubes to try macro
photography.

Switching topics to macro: it's much (much) harder to focus on the subject
than I'd anticipated. My set up is an 18-105 lens (the only lens I have),
tripod, aperture priority (smallest f-stop to maximise the depth of field),
and outdoors. I'm just experimenting with flowers right now and am using
all three extension tubes. One of the difficulties is getting enough light
on the subject. All that said, it's good fun.

Do you have a focusing rack? If not you might want to get one. This
one works fine http://www.amazon.com/Neewer%C2%AE-Focusing-Close-up-Shooting-Standard/dp/B009SJ7UWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420403549&sr=8-1&keywords=focusing+rail

or
http://tinyurl.com/o78k9hh

--I have one of those that I found in a box of
stuff obtained at an estate sale, and a Manfrotto that costs about five
times as much and I don't find a lot of difference between them in terms
of performance.

Being able to move the camera precisely in small increments will make
macro much easier--the rule is that you set the lens for the
magnification you want and then move the camera to get focus.

Eric Stevens