Old November 7th 04, 07:03 PM
Francis A. Miniter

Arghh! Panalure is for B&W prints from color negatives. Considering that Kodak
has ended production of two of the three grades of this paper (the high (H) and
low (L) contrast, only the medium (M) contrast continuing), save it for color
negatives and use another paper for B&W negatives.

And yes, Panalure is panchromatic, just like film. It reacts to any light
whatsoever. You cannot use it with a safelight. Normal B&W paper is
orthochromatic, so that it is safe to use with a safelight.

As to working without a safelight, it is not that bad. You eventually get to
know your surroundings the way a blind person does. I can even pull (the
correct) chemicals off the shelves in the dark now.

Francis A. Miniter

sreenath wrote:

Hello all,

I have some Panalure selecct RC FM paper that I have been using
for making prints from b/w negatives. While I am pleased with the
quality of prints, I am having a big problem with some prints that
end up completely black.

My dark room is not really completely dark, but I have not been having
any problems with regular b/w paper, both RC and fiber.

Is Panalure really so fast that even a small amount of light leakage
can completely fog it? I have been unable to isolate the cause of this
problem. The light reflected from the paper as it is exposed is being
refected back from side wall. Can this be a problem?

Also, I am finding it very difficult to work without safelight.
Is there anythng at all that can be done?

Any tips/hints appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Sreenath