Old October 21st 06, 04:33 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike Fields

Default New Foto Tip by Mark Alberhasy - A Perspective on Lenses

"Herb Ludwig" wrote in message

"Mike Fields" spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet wrote
Well, maybe not quite that simple -- a) the refs get a bit
upset if I am out in the middle of the soccer field during
the game to "get the right framing" and b) many times,
I want a different perspective between the foreground
subject and the background (mountains etc) - it takes
a different focal length to get the perspective right too
(yes, you still need to use your legs to get it right though)

Yes, of course, there are a number of situations where the legs alone
won't do it.
Indoors, for instance, where a nasty wall may soon crowd one's effort
to step back-
Thanks for pointing out the importance of the foreground / background
perspective.
I use my Canon DSLR with 3 lenses (17-40 f4 Zoom, a 50 f1.4 Prime and
a 70-200 f4 Zoom) and find that I take about 50% of my pictures with
the 17-40 f4 lens, because I like its perspective on a 1.6 crop
camera.
Cheers,
Hank

I have seen more people bitten with the foreground/background
thing. Out in the open country somewhere with a beautiful
mountain backdrop, they shoot the picture of someone from
up close with the wide angle then notice when they get home
the "magnificent mountain scenery" that was there when they
took the picture is just a couple of little bumps behind their
subject. Always the same comment "gee I don't understand,
the mountains looked so much bigger when we were there".
Step back even 10 feet, zoom in a bit to frame the subject
and voila - the mountains are there !! (unless you live in
Kansas, in which case, there is no hope for mountains .. )

mikey