Old October 21st 06, 03:30 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike Fields

Default New Foto Tip by Mark Alberhasy - A Perspective on Lenses

"Herb Ludwig" wrote in message

"Wayne J. Cosshall" wrote
No you are not. But of course with newcomers migrating to dSLRs all
the time it does need to be said again and again. It see it with my
incoming students all the time. Their idea of a fast lens is f4 and a
really fast one f2.8. It is the zoom mentality. Now nothing wrong
with zooms, I love my ones, but they are not the whole answer.

Not mentioned in Mark's article:
The need for a "fast" lens has become less pressing with today's DSLRs
providing for 4- stop ISO changes, e.g. from ISO 100 to 800, with
virtually no sharpness / noise penalties (and decent pictures even at
1600 or 3200),.
Get me right, I love to use my f1.4 prime lens and agree with the
"Cartier-Bresson" approach to learn to see through just one focal
length. On the other hand, Mark's "No more zoom in, zoom out. You've
got to look for the right subject and the right composition" is
misleading. Any decent photographer w/o a zoom will use his legs to
get the right framing!
Cheers,
Hank

Well, maybe not quite that simple -- a) the refs get a bit
upset if I am out in the middle of the soccer field during
the game to "get the right framing" and b) many times,
I want a different perspective between the foreground
subject and the background (mountains etc) - it takes
a different focal length to get the perspective right too
(yes, you still need to use your legs to get it right though)

mikey