Old April 4th 09, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Rol_Lei Nut[_2_]

Default Nikon F2as and pre AI lenses

Robert Coe wrote:
On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 15:48:39 +0200, Rol_Lei Nut
wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
: On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 19:59:43 +1300, Apteryx wrote:
: : goldtech wrote:
: : Hi,
: :
: : Been trying to understand the compatibility issues of nikkor lens/
: : nikon camers.
: :
: : Say I have a Nikon f2as DP-12 finder. If I use a pre AI lens it would
: : work but I would have stop-down light metering?
: :
: : Yes. At least I think so. I have an F2AS, but no pre AI lenses. The
: : finder allows you to flip up the AI metering tab so as to mount a pre AI
: : lens without damage, but has no prong to be captured by the pre AI
: : lens's metering fork to tell the camera what aperture has been pre-set
: : on the lens.
: :
: : But if I used a pre-AI lens on a Nikon F Photomic then the metering
: : would be that the lens would be largest F-stop until I shoot? Or would
: : it be stop-down as I meter?
: :
: : I think the former - since I believe the F's Photomic finder (and some
: : older finders has the necessary prong that the F2AS lacks (but I've
: : never owned an F)
:
: I never owned an F either, but my F2 did have a prong to engage the fork on
: the lens, which remained at full aperture until the shutter button was pressed
: (and returned to full aperture as soon as the exposure was complete). That
: feature may have been new on the F2; my recollection is that the front
: overhang that contained the prong didn't exist on the F's finder. But that
: recollection could well be wrong.
:
: One thing I am sure of is that you had to be careful how you mounted the lens.
: If the prong was in the wrong position, the fork could push it out of the way
: without engaging it, and the aperture settings wouldn't get passed to the
: finder.
:
:
: Ye Gods!
:
: And if you set a non-AI lens to f/5.6 you'll get warts on your hands...
:
: What a pearl of misinformation!!!!

I suppose it's possible. My own impression is that the misinformation lies
only in things you think I said but didn't.

: BTW:
: The F FTn and the non-AI F2 Photomics are conceptually the same (at
: least as far as the prong is concerned).
: Nikkormats and F Photomics prior to the FTn required setting the lens to
: 5.6.

My wife's Nikkormat did have to have the lens set to f/5.6 when attaching it
to the camera; my F2 didn't. But on the F2 you did sometimes have to twist the
setting ring back and forth to make sure the fork engaged the prong.

That's SOP on non-AI Photomics and is called indexing: Nothing at all to
do with the prong being "in the wrong position" (or with the fork
actually engaging the prong - it "informed" the Photomic of the maximum
aperture of the lens being used).