Old August 30th 11, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Default Annika 1980

Noons wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

It would be very open to people using G+, you'd just need to make some
formal announcements periodically.

Not yet convinced G+ is all it seems. Google was supposed to "take over"
DejaNews and "make it better". Look at the mess they made of the Usenet.

Yeah, though it did expand the audience, in an 'eternal September' kinda
way.

They exhausted my confidence, it won't get back.

Thank God for sweethearts like you saving us ;-)

"saving" is a swear word in my circles...

Meh, I wouldn't register on pbase for that.

Me neither. Nor for anything else, as a MOF.

G+ might work if just about
everybody joins anyways like facebook (which I don't really use much).

It'll take a looooong time, when even the initial stuff is by invitation
only.

It's invite only because it's still beta, I think. One thing I noticed
though is people who are big facebook users have zero interest in G+.

I was just curious how it might work and how G+ works in general with the
circles idea. The problem is, you can control who sees your stuff but
can't
filter your contacts' other irrelevant content.

How would you propose to define "irrelevant" content to a filter?

It sounds mean but if you
connect with a photog, you automatically get all their non-photography
content.
Hmm, well in theory I guess they might not share their posts with
everyone but
how do you tell someone to quit posting stuff? lol

FB has one endearing feature to me: the little "x" on the top right of
every post sent to me. Gets too stupid for my nerves to carry? I just
silence it, right there. Everything else stays the same, it's just posts
like that one that go. Dunno how to do that in G+. Yet.

Little down arrow upper-right of post mute post.

Here's the scenario I faced: I've got a bunch of contacts from another
place
with a common thread of computer geek stuff and a few of them, I added
to my
photo circle. Now I can filter my view to only people in my photo
group but I
can't keep these people's geek talk out of that view. At least I don't
think so.

I think you can. I've got at least three circles active at the mo and I
only see the banter of each when in each circle.

Anyone want to test this with me? lol, it just seems rude to ask my
contacts for help with strategies for blocking their irrelevant crap.
It's not completely crap, I might want to read that stuff, just trying
to sort it. I don't think it'll work but maybe they are just not using
the selective circle thing and posting everything to everyone. When I
comment on something, I don't see the option to choose who sees my
comments to other folks' posts, only when I start a post. So if someone
has me in their photo circle and I comment on something irrelevant, they
will have my comment in their photo circle filtered stream.