Old August 25th 11, 07:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Default Annika 1980

On 2011-08-17 08:55:00 -0700, Alan Browne

On 2011-08-17 08:17:41 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

You (and Tony and Bret and whoever else) up for a Google+
account?

Point being it's not a wide open space like facebook, but closed
'circles' around activities or people or such. More 'confined'
than
facebook.

I would like to actually examine the concept before I commit
myself. I
need to educate myself a bit first. So I will get back to you on
that
idea.

I sent you an invite (I think).

Premise is you decide who are in your various circles. Less
x-ing of
information. (eg: avoids a lot of the Facebook info sharing
that's out
of your control).

I'm not sold on it yet, but anything that challenges Facebook to
a mud
fight has got to be doing something right.

I have been looking at how G+ might work for an SI type
forum/circle,
and the main con I can see is the closed aspect. Even now with the
dearth of active SI contributors, we still get the occasional
casual
lurker making an entry. Since there is the potential to have
some of
the
current contributors not join G+, I have a feeling the G+ photo
circle
would have fewer participants than those we are able to draw from
rpe35mm, rpd, rpdslr-e, and ap.

While G+ has an ability to isolate the various circles from each
other,
and to only share an album, or stream/discussion with a specific
circle
it is going to be a awkward, regardless of any improvement over FB.
With
G+ it is going to be a by-invitation only, closed club with very
little
opportunity to grow. Also unless all participants in a circle have
the
ability to add to an album, for each SI type challenge/mandate
there
will be a separate album for each entrants 3 shots rather than
grouping
each mandate in a single album.
So I have a feeling G+ would be a little messy for an SI type
forum,
but
for a group of like interest folks it would be a pretty be good
way to
come together.

The way it would work is you create a circle called photo, then
filter
for activity in that group to see them, and when posting, make only
pics available to your photo circle, not all your other stuff you
might post. I don't think there's a way to do that last part from
the
receiving end though, so if someone decided to share all their other
non-photo related stuff with the photo circle, we'd all end up with
that to sort through. Or if you are also friends with a member or
share another interest...

Alan & I tried a test setup. I created a circle called
"Photogeeks" and

The problem is we can't see what you call your circle and can't see
which people you are connected to might be in that circle so yes it's
hard to build the group. I'm connected to a bunch of people with
little interest in photography that you wouldn't want to put in your
photo circle and there are some who might be interested but I don't
know how to tell them about this venture.

OK, the way to tell them about this photo critique group is once you
jump in, I think you will see people responding with critiques and if
that looks like someone with photo crit value, you add them to your
photo circle. If they annoy you, then block them.

The subtle part is, you might add someone... then they start sharing
all kinds of crap with you about their grandma and things you aren't
interested in. The only way to tone them down would be to block them
or *tell* them to back off and keep it to photo crit stuff, otherwise
their irrelevant stuff is going to clog your photo-filtered view. I
think I've got that right? I suppose they would have to actually click
their photo crit circle when sharing or maybe not if it's just
comments on their 'wall' (wall = facebook terminology). I'm not too
sure now... I'm no facebook expert either, just exploring this.

I'm not even a Facebook player.

I only use it for work under a pseudonym, mostly appearing as the
company for an identity. I'm just not up for maintaining myself in that
realm but yeah I've got a limited amount of experience there though I
don't follow it apart from the work stuff, which is fun.

I can only see this as working by having a limited album, mine is
limited to sharing with members of my "Photogeeks" circle. You have made
yours part of your public share.

So It seems each forum participant not wanting to share the gruesome
details private and family life will need to learn the skillful
tailoring of his individual circles, by setting up a dedicated "Photo
Forum" circle.

Right, that's *complicated* !!!

There is still the issue of drawing new blood to this
type of forum, I just don't know how to be open enough to freely invite
the World and then police it. That seems like more trouble than it is
worth.

You can just scan discussions and see who is legitimately contributing
comments then add them to that circle but yeah I'm not up to speed on
all the implications.

Twitter uses *hash tags* and I would propose #photocrit for this but I
don't understand the implications or if that would be of any value at
all with google plus. All I can figure is it could be used to informally
notify those in the know to the intent of a post.

Yup! all you can see is the album I have shared with that circle.and
comments you make to that album.

just put a two shot album which is shared only in it. The big
problem is
still going to be the issue that this would be a closed,
by-invitation
only circle, there is going to be little opportunity for new blood.
Then
there is the issue of multiple albums for an SI type mandate, it
will be
a mess.

I will add you to that circle of two bringing the huge number up to
three. We can only see how it might develop.

I uploaded 3 photos... took a bunch but hate having to choose which is
best... it depends! :-)

OK, fumbling around, I re-did that as an album with 6 shots (sorry,
too many, I know) and made a few comments on others pics, maybe not
welcome, I don't know if this will show up as some prick making picky
comments :-) so I prefaced them as part of 'the photo critique
experiment'.

Naah! I saw the comment and that was just fine. I just put another two
shots up so that there were more that the original two.

We'll see how it handles full size

Seems to have a nice big screen view but no more. My uploads are 12
MP. It picked up my exif caption but the way I set them up for flickr
uploads, the 'Caption' is secondary to the 'Title' and it didn't pick
up the titles. I plug those in with lightroom and I think one might be
EXIF, the other IPTC?

I like the screen and the simplicity of posting to albums. I think it is
a reasonable way to share with friends & family, but I don't believe it
is going to do well as an SI type forum.

Probably, but there may be potential.

and if comments are useful or easy to follow...

Post a recent photo that you'd like comments on...

I sent Pete A an invite to G+ a month or so ago but maybe didn't
get it,
just cause he had a gmail account which we'd communicated through
before...