Old April 21st 13, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN[_3_]

Default A Nikon DSLR story

On 4/21/2013 11:37 AM, Bowser wrote:
On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 13:19:40 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 4/20/2013 12:03 PM, RichA wrote:
On Apr 20, 9:27 am, Bowser wrote:
On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 20:24:14 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Apr 19, 7:31 am, Bowser wrote:
On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 00:22:43 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

Guy buys a D800. Has the left-focus issue. Gets a new one. Same
issue. Guy sends new one in for fixing. They send it back, but now
the focus is off (not by as much) everywhere. Seems they tried to
"average" the error. Guy goes to Nikon directly. He's asking them,
"just give me a new body." They are hemming and hawing.
In comes some photog with their new 800mm lens. Plops it down on the
counter and tells them there is something wrong with it, not
functionally, something physical. Camera repair people run off to get
a manager or something to deal with the guy who wants a new D800
body. The guy wanting the new body and the (evidently, his
description) "internet camera bigwig" start talking to each other.
Manager comes out and insists that they will repair the D800 the guy
already has, but won't give him a new one. Internet guy shouts, "Just
give him a new body!" Nikon gives the guy a new D800.

But did it fix the AF issue?

He said that this current one is as good as he's seen. It still has
the left-side issue to a degree, but it's better and the other areas
are fine. He said based on the conversations he had there, it's
impossible with the current camera to fix it completely. I'd really
love to know the mechanics of what has happened, just to know if it
will require a brand new design to correct it. If Nikon releases a
D900 with notable changes, that could be the reason.

Pretty embarassing for Nikon. The introduce a potentially killer
camera and it's handicapped with an AF issue. What a shame. I'd never
pay that much for a camera and have to work around something as
fundamental as an AF issue.

Ironic that the cheapest cameras in the line don't seem to have these
issues, or is it that their users don't notice them?

Ironic that ou post an undocumented story, and forget to mention tht the
issue has been fixed. Or, have you stopped reading DP Review.

I read DP Review, and still see many, many complaints about the two
latest issues, the AF issue on the D800 and the "ink spots" on the
D600. As far as I can see neither has been completely fixed. Then
again, maybe I missed that story. Can you post a link to anything that
confirms the AF fix? Not being sarcastic, but I really want to know
since my brother is in the market for one.

I do not have that issue on my D800. When i first got it I brought it
into Nikon repair, and they carefully checked it out, while I waited.
One of my friends, who is quite picky, also has one, and has not had the
issue. Went out shooting this morning with two D600 owners, who have not
voiced any complaints. Perhaps certain batches have the problem. This
afternoon I am going to a presentation by a Nikon sponsored
photographer, with whom I have had some very nice conversations in the
past. I will try to tap him for more information.

--
PeterN