Old June 13th 04, 12:50 AM
Mark A

Default Enlarger f-stop sweet spot

"ATIPPETT" wrote in message
I recently asked the question about sweet spots for Cameras and Enlarger

on the
MF site. I received so very good information on camera lens and learned

about
diffraction. My question is "are the problems the same with enlarger

lens?"
Since the projection is on to a two dimensional field does this change the
quality of the print.
Is there an optiimum f-stop?
Thanks.

If you go to the Schneider web site I provided on the MF newsgroup, you will
see the MTF charts for each enlarging lens and see where the sweet spot is.
Not all apertures are tested, but you can get the idea.

Note that there are multiple factors to consider such center sharpness, edge
sharpness, light fall-off, distortion (probably not important unless your
photos have a lot of straight lines near the edge).

Also note that measurements differ according to the enlargement factor in
addition to the aperture. This is because enlarging lenses are optimized for
a certain enlarging factor (just like camera lenses are optimized for
distances close to infinity).