Old September 10th 04, 05:59 PM
Jim

I have Cokin P mount and several GND's. The Cokin filters are junk. I
bought a couple of them first. The problem is that they are nt really
netural and make the clouds look very dark. B+W and Singh Ray are the
best but very expensive. I use HiTech as they are much more
affordable. The filters are 1, 2, or 3 stops (.3 .6 .9), hard or soft.
The difference is the soft has a feathered transistion from filtered
and non-filtered portions of the filter. I have a hard and soft 2 stop
and soft 1 stop. I generally don't use 3 stop GND as I think that it
makes the image look un-natural. That's why I bracket on the plus
side. If i'm using a long lens and have a straight or nearly straight
horizon I use the 2 stop hard if the horizon is not straight or I'm
going wide I use soft. Recently when I was in NYC I bought a graduated
sunset filterat B&H. It was used on the Hudson River shots. Literally
went from the store to the river and shot. This gives another 1 stop
and works well with the 2 stop. When I stacked them I staggered them.
As to how much over lap, you just have to eye-ball it through the view
finder and move them around untill it looks the way you want it to. I
also have a 2 stop ND for longer exposures.

I would suggest that you start with a 2 stop soft GND and maybe the
graduated sunset filter. Use them seperately and combined and decide
what if anything you need from there.

Jim

* Check out my website at: http://SwensonStudio.com *
* travel and landscape photography featuring beautiful sunsets *

"David Edwards" wrote in message news:IHa0d.9410$Q44.2035@trnddc09...
Well first of all thank you all for your input and ideas. I will check on
the film processor to see if we can get a good print from my negatives. When
time rolls around for my assignment next year I will have a few new tricks
to try. Thank you all. Which ND filter should I get? The one that cuts down
1 f stop or should I go for something denser? I looked at Jim's web page and
he had several sunrises and sunsets that had the effect I was trying to
capture. Jim, how did you get the red tint to remain in your shots. Which
grade of ND filter do you recommend?

--------
David Edwards
nitehawk01 at verizon dot net

"David Edwards" wrote in message
The other day while I was on the way to work I stopped to shoot a sunrise
that I had noticed over the last couple of years, looked particularly
interesting this time of the year. As I top a certain hillcrest, in the
valley usually is a light fog, with tree covered hilly terrain and the sun
is a huge red dot filtered through the haze instead of its usual bright
white. I have tried several times to capture this scene, but I can't seem
to get it right. What camera settings or filters do I need? I have been
using Fuji Superia 400 cause that's what I have a supply of, a Nikon N90s
and f stops from wide open to the other extreme. I have tried to focus on
the trees in the distance and using the focus lock, reframe the scene and
shoot. It just doesn't give me the colors I am seeing with my eyes. What
do I need to do differently?

--------
David E.
nitehawk01 at verizon dot net