Old August 9th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Default Thoughts on "Multicoated" lens filters

On Aug 8, 8:32 pm, Dave wrote:
i did a ton of travelling earlier this year and got my camera lenses
quite dirty at times. (did my best to keep them clean but i was in
crazy places...)

i wiped them gently with anti-static cloths but i didn't feel good
about it.

should i buy "Multicoated" lens covers (i believe a.k.a. Neutral
Density Glass Filters)? has anyone used them?

i own the Canon 30D, and so far all Canon lenses.

thanks, dave

Camera owners are often clueless about how to treat lenses or
filters. "Cleaning cloths" should never be used. Cleaning tissues
used once. Never use circular strokes as this can drag abraisive dirt
around. The process should be: Blow with air, lens brush, then clean
with a NON-dry tissue. Always use lens cleaner.
If you don't care about the coatings on the filters, do what you
like. As for filter use, multicoated, single-coated or not coated, it
doesn't matter. Point into any light sources and you will likely get
flare. Other times filters (clean ones, untinted) should present no
problem unless they are really crappy. If you look through a filter
and tilt it back and forth and the image moves or distorts, throw the
filter out.