Old March 6th 04, 12:14 PM
Gregory W Blank

Default upgrdading from fuji sensia 100 => ???

In article ,
"Philippe Lauwers" wrote:

Hello,
As a (35 mm) slide-film, up to now I've been using Fuji Sensia 100, and I've
been thinking about an upgrade to Velvia 100F, of maybe Provia 100F(they
have finer grain, don't they ?).
Since I'm leaving to Morroco for a two-week trip next week, I don't have
time to do a lot of testing so I hope someone can give me some valuable
advice ...

1. Which 'professional' film comes closest to Sensia, as far as the
(neutral) color-balance is concerned.
2. I've read that Velvia yields much more saturated colors; is it
possible to obtain slightly less saturated colors (for instance) by rating a
Velvia 100F @ 120 ISO instead of 100 ISO, or will I only get a slight blue
cast ?
3. Other suggestions are welcome too, of course
I've heard horrible stories about the pricing of the Provia films, hence my
question about underexposing Velvia ...
Thx,
Philippe

Philippe;

Sensia, is essentially Provia. The difference being the batch to batch
consistancy of Provia and Provia is also supposed to be kept refrigerated
when you buy it. I know pro's that shoot Sensia instead of Provia because they
shoot 35mm. I would do the same. Sensia is not available in medium and large
format films which I shoot.

Velvia 100F is slightly different than Provia the grain structure of
Velvia 100F could be a benefit for 35mm , but
the balance and saturation of 100F are no better or worse than Provia.
Velvia 50 is the saturated film people talk of and has very tight grain.

Basically to get consistant balance you must use a prolab, the same lab
on a regular basis....and even then its debatable imop. You really have to
test and determine this for your own circumstances where you want to be
for exposing the the film.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank