Old July 24th 18, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default String tripod

On 7/23/2018 5:41 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 23, 2018, newshound wrote
(in ) :

On 22/07/2018 14:57, Johnny wrote:
I have a basic digital compact and use a string tripod to avoid camera
shake.

I usually loop the string round the back of my neck but most advice
sites suggest standing on the string.

Is one of these better than the other for reducing shake?

It's notable how many "sports" pros who need mobility and long (heavy)
lenses simply go for a monopod. I've never used one myself, but think
about getting one from time to time. No reason it should not work fine
on a compact (especially a superzoom) as long as it is not too heavy,
and is quick and easy to "telescope".

A monopod works great for sports photography where support is needed for
heavy long lenses, and the lens/camera is mainly used for lateral/horizontal
panning. It is not as useful when it comes to vertical panning, and can be
quite awkward especially if the target is at a higher, or lower elevation
from the horizontal line of sight. With typical lateral/horizontal panning
the pivot point is the grounded foot of the monopod, and panning to track the
action on a sports field, track, or arena becomes natural and simple. Add to
that, panning motion imparts quite a lot of inertial stabilization, and is a
reason to consider not having OIS/VR turned on with lenses which do not
compensate for lateral panning (some do). Most importantly, since the subject
is in motion, IBIS, and most basic OIS/VR is not going to help, fast glass,
and higher ISO will.

IBIS and/or OIS/VR is only going to be helpful for handheld shooting, and
even there shooting technique is still important.

A monopod is a compromise which provides the sports photographer some
stability for heavy lenses along with a degree of mobility. However, the
monopod is not going to provide the same degree of stabilization as a good
tripod, especially if used with a gimbal head (a much better choice for
airshows, or birds in flight). I have seen some photographers using a monopod
with a gimbal head at airshows especially if they are using heavy lenses.

All true, but if you are shooting at a high ISO and shutter speed, a
monopod is easier to use than a tripod.

--
PeterN