Old January 31st 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default 4X5 film holders

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message
Bob AZ wrote:
Robert

where I can buy this tape to repair these holders.
Thanks.

Gaffers tape.

I have never had to replace the tape, but I have only been
using 4x5 since
about 1975. The original is much like the old "friction
tape" that
electricians used to use. Perhaps the reason I no longer
see that kind of
tape on the market is because electric codes probably do
not permit splicing
wires anymore. You should use it all in one run, and any
connections seem to
be made with wire nuts inside junction boxes.

Stuff like duct tape are too thick and I suspect too stiff
to use with
pleasure; i.e., they would be annoyingly stiff.

--
.~. Jean-David Beyer Registered Linux User
85642.

The problem with "friction" tape, and many other tapes,
is that the adhesive migrates and leaves a gummy border
around the tape. Friction tape is NOT the familiar smooth
plastic electrical tape. I have not seen actual friction
tape for some time.
Gaffer tape works OK for holders because the adhesive is
specifically designed not to migrate. Note that Gaffer tape
is NOT the same thing is duct tape although they are often
confused. Gaffer tape is intended for temporary fastening of
things on a movie set, it is designed to be relatively
strong but to be removable with as litte damage to the
surface its fastend to as possible. Duct tape is meant for
wrapping air conditioning ducts and has a very sticky
adhesive that spreads and is hard to remove.
Probably the best solution to replacing the hinges on
holders is to use a thin leatherette plastic and cement it
with contact cement. The material is thin and smooth, both
desirable for the application.

--
---
Richard Knoppow