Old November 10th 17, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Ripe Apples

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

it makes a lot more sense to optimize a computer for every day use,
versus something that *might* happen.

some cars have the battery in the wheel well, requiring a wheel to
be removed just to swap the battery. since car batteries usually last
5-10 years, that's a very good design decision.

No, it's a horrible decision.* Batteries here rarely last 5 years due to
the harsh winters.* Having to remove a wheel to even examine a battery
for its condition is absolute stupidity.* I see why you admire it.

I can think of a half dozen people who are glad my Ford F-150 doesn't
require removing the wheel for access to the battery. Those half dozen
people are also glad I carry jumper cables to jump start their cars.

there are still battery terminals under the hood, so you'd be able to
jump start other cars or be jump started yourself without any issue
whatsoever.

it's *replacing* the battery, something you admit to not having done
for *eight* *years*, that would require a jack, which presumably you
also carry.

Making machines easy to service is a smart design decision, and not
always mutually exclusive with making machines optimum for everyday use.

sometimes it is.

for vehicles, putting rarely accessed components in normally empty
areas makes a lot of sense.

(OTOH, I replaced my original equipment truck battery at eight years
here in southwest Indiana!)

that's not unusual.