Old November 8th 10, 01:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Memory Cards

On 2010-11-07 21:05:47 -0800, Peabody said:

Savageduck says...

The older, slower CF cards are being done away with.
That leaves the faster, pricier CF cards. So If you can
find some of those older slower, less expensive cards
running at the same speeds as the fastest SD cards, and
you can live with that, buy them up.

CF cards are going to cost more because they are not
making the slower cards any more, that market need is
being filled with SD cards the fastest being 30MB/s.

Well, maybe someone will come up with a superfast version of
the current SD-to-CF adapter so SD cards can be used for at
least the medium speed requirements at low cost. But SD is
a serial device while CF is parallel, and then there's the
extra controller used in the adapter process. So the speed
you would get from even the fastest adapter might not be so
great.

It's not clear to me that video requires the fastest write
speed, since the video is compressed. My guess is the
stream of continuous shooting in RAW would present the most
rigorous requirement, particularly for those big 20+mp
cameras.

I'm using an adapter in my 350D now, and it works fine, but
of course a 350D isn't much of a speed challenge. :-)

It is interesting that SanDisk touts its 64GB 15MB/s Ultra SDXC card
for HD video, and the 30MB/s Extreme SDHC for DSLR's.

I also need to correct an earler post I made. It appears SanDisk is
still producing its slower CF cards, The 30MB/s Extreme III, and the
15MB/s Ultra II.
…and prices for those seem reasonable.

Amazon has some great deals on SanDisk CF cards, the best being this
one for 16GB 60MB/s Extreme CF UDMA @ $91.60.
http://thurly.net/09tp
If you want something slower there are even better prices.

I like the idea of using en Eye-Fi SD card in the SD slot of my D300s.
I should give that a test.

Savageduck