Old November 8th 10, 04:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Memory Cards

On 2010-11-07 12:42:14 -0800, Alan Lichtenstein said:

Rich wrote:

On Nov 7, 8:35 am, Alan Lichtenstein wrote:

A friend of mine told me that he had heard from someone at Lexar that in
2-3 years they would no longer be making CF memory Cards, only
manufacturing SDHC and micro SD cards. I realize that this is third
party hearsay, but has anyone else heard that 'hearsay?' And what about
other manufacturers?

They must cost more than SD cards to make, purely from a resource use
standpoint. No wonder they want to do away with them.

Understandable, but just as a curiosity, I compared the write speeds of
a manufacturer's CF and SDHC cards of the same level, and it appeared
that the CF card has a much faster write speed. I saw that in the
latest B & H catalog. Admittedly, it could be a misprint, but it was
repeated, so I'm not sure. I'll have to go and actually see both cards.

Also, should that be the case, it would appear that most users of
dSLR's would want the faster write speed, making the decision to stop
producing the CF cards 'curious' at best.

The older, slower CF cards are being done away with.
That leaves the faster, pricier CF cards. So If you can find some of
those older slower, less expensive cards running at the same speeds as
the fastest SD cards, and you can live with that, buy them up.

CF cards are going to cost more because they are not making the slower
cards any more, that market need is being filled with SD cards the
fastest being 30MB/s.

Savageduck