Old November 8th 10, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron

Default Memory Cards

"Alan Lichtenstein" wrote in message
Ron wrote:

"Alan Lichtenstein" wrote in message

A friend of mine told me that he had heard from someone at Lexar that in
2-3 years they would no longer be making CF memory Cards, only
manufacturing SDHC and micro SD cards. I realize that this is third
party hearsay, but has anyone else heard that 'hearsay?' And what about
other manufacturers?

CF cards are used in almost all DSLRs. So CF cards will be around for a
long time. I for one wouldn't cry if Lexar stopped making any memory
cards. Their problem may be a shrinking market share.

I stopped by my local camera shop today after I posted the initial post. I
mentioned what I had heard and the person I usually deal with said that he
had heard pretty much the same. I asked him about other manufacturers and
he said that he heard nothing about their plans. I use San Disk anyway,
and that initially relieved me, however, he added that with reduced
competition, he anticipated the CF cards to become more expensive.

I may be wrong, but when comparing similar manufacturer's CF cards to
their SDHC cards, the CF cards seem to have higher write speeds than the
comparable SDHC cards. I agree that most dSLR's use CF cards, however,
many of them have two slots and can take either. Given the differences in
write speeds, it does appear to me that Lexar's decision to get out of the
CF business is somewhat strange, as dSLR users would want the faster write
speeds. Someone had said that the new Nikon 300 has a single slot. Not
using a Nikon, I wouldn't know anything about that claim either. But I
would find it odd.

I have three Canon DSLRs and they all have a single card slot and it is CF.
As far as price goes, they are all cheap to those of us that have been using
them for a while. Years ago a 340 MB microdrive type II CF card was over a
hundred bucks. The CF cards with the largest capacity and fast write/read
speeds will always have a high price until the newer version comes out.
Like all electronics, the bigger better widget always costs more!

Ron