Old August 15th 14, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.graphics.photoshop
PeterN[_5_]

Default Adobe Grrr

On 8/15/2014 2:00 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

: Okay, I get that there's a romanticization of it this early on, and a
: business (profiteering) case for making software subscription-based,
: but I think things will eventually settle into place, and that
: software vendors will find better ways to enforce subscriptions, like
: say having it "phone home" periodically (not every use) to make sure
: the subscription is still good and assume it is good unless the
: connection fails X times in a row (to prevent lock-in-by-user-firewall
: but not interrupt use during a network outage.)

Of course they'll get better at it, but the problem is that the
subscription
model favors the 1%. (Actually, make that the .01%, because that's where
we're
headed.

nonsense, but even if that were true, so what?

Agreed.

is there something wrong with targeting the top tier? do you have a
problem with rolls royce and ferrari making very expensive cars?

That is not the point.

it is the point.

Nope see below.

if someone doesn't want to pay the asking price, they can seek an
alternate solution. don't deny those who do want to pay the asking
price for the product or service.

The vendor ensures itself that the money received
is the agreed upon price.
The purchaser should receive exactly what he is paying for.

nobody said otherwise.

not a matter of "said." The point is that Adobe failed to properly
disclose its policy about the photography subscription. I have a right
to feel taken.

When the
vendor fails to disclose that a promotional price withholds part of the
product, is, IMHO unethical, if possiby illegal in some places. It's
called false and misleading advertixing.

who is doing that? nobody. why even bring that up?

Wrong. See above. Look further in this thread for citations.
Sorry to disappoint you, but there is nothing for you to argue about here.

If a tird party publishes an alternative that wuld work for me, I
certainly will revisit The subscription issue. I am the type of person
who has given, and ****ed away thousands, accepted significant business
losses, but does not like being screwed for even one cent.

--
PeterN