Old July 8th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Default One upmanship and Canon's claim

On Jul 7, 4:39 pm, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number
wrote:
RichA wrote:
On Jun 30, 6:05 pm, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number
wrote:
Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in
MarkČ wrote:

We agree on that. I'm pretty disgusted, frankly. I'm a Canon
guy, and like their stuff...but they've really screwed up on
this one. At this level, they should either deliver the goods,
or don't deliver at all. What's most frustrating is that they
knew in advance about it (this is known due to their recognition
of RG's review of a pre-production unit, and the later
confirmation that the production units suffer the EXACT same
problem Canon was notified about). When/if there is a fix, I'll
likely be somewhere in Africa where it's
impossible to benefit from it.
Bummer.

Mark,
Have you talked directly to Canon technical support and
told them of your impending trip? Maybe you could send them
your 1D3 and they send you a 1D2 for your Africa trip
(I would suggest that to them if they don't offer it).
One could hope they will have a firmware update that
solves the problem pretty quick.

Roger

Hmmm... That might be worth a try. I took my 1D3 to Irvine today,
but I frankly don't expect a real fix when I pick it up on Monday.
I might just try that...though I'll be gone for 7 weeks. They
might not be too wild about such a long loan. If it doesn't
appear that the camera is fixed (I'll take my laptop and test it),
then I may try your suggestion. That's something I hadn't thought
of...

Thanks, Roger.

Mark

www.pbase.com/markuson

Oh yeah, have a good and safe trip too.

Thanks. Safety will be an issue, as I'll be carrying major camera
gear in some of the most crime-ridden areas in the world...traveling
alone most of the time. We'll see how it goes...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Check the local laws and carry a handgun and a rifle.

Carrying a handgun would drop me right into an ex-soviet prison...

That's not fair! Every time I see pictures of Africa, people either
have hunting rifles, or AK-47s.