Old July 7th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Default One upmanship and Canon's claim

On Jun 30, 6:05 pm, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number
wrote:
Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
MarkČ wrote:

We agree on that. I'm pretty disgusted, frankly. I'm a Canon guy,
and like their stuff...but they've really screwed up on this one.
At this level, they should either deliver the goods, or don't
deliver at all. What's most frustrating is that they knew in
advance about it (this is known due to their recognition of RG's
review of a pre-production unit, and the later confirmation that
the production units suffer the EXACT same problem Canon was
notified about). When/if there is a fix, I'll likely be somewhere
in Africa where it's
impossible to benefit from it.
Bummer.

Mark,
Have you talked directly to Canon technical support and
told them of your impending trip? Maybe you could send them
your 1D3 and they send you a 1D2 for your Africa trip
(I would suggest that to them if they don't offer it).
One could hope they will have a firmware update that
solves the problem pretty quick.

Roger

Hmmm... That might be worth a try. I took my 1D3 to Irvine today,
but I frankly don't expect a real fix when I pick it up on Monday. I
might just try that...though I'll be gone for 7 weeks. They might
not be too wild about such a long loan. If it doesn't appear that
the camera is fixed (I'll take my laptop and test it), then I may
try your suggestion. That's something I hadn't thought of...

Thanks, Roger.

Mark

www.pbase.com/markuson

Oh yeah, have a good and safe trip too.

Thanks. Safety will be an issue, as I'll be carrying major camera gear in
some of the most crime-ridden areas in the world...traveling alone most of
the time. We'll see how it goes...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Check the local laws and carry a handgun and a rifle.