Old October 30th 03, 02:08 AM
DaveT

Default APS Sucks.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:04:53 -0800, Dale DePriest
wrote:
Ken Rosenbaum wrote:

"Ron Andrews" wrote in message
I use my SLR when I'm serious about picture taking. On

occasion I will drag out the Crown Graphic and shoot 4x5 sheet film. I
wouldn't try to make a 20x30 enlargement from APS, but sometimes I want
simple snapshots. For that, APS is hard to beat.

Ron,
I can absolutely agree with you. I have complete 35mm systems by Nikon,
Pentax, Canon and Minolta with some of the finest lenses they offer. I
recently used a Canon Elph for just the type of snaps you described. It was
used alternately with a Nikon N8008S and a 24-50 AF Nikkor zoom lens. You
cannot tell the difference in the 4x6 prints I made in the Disney World
area.
I have found the same to be true of my Canon Elph Jr., which offers me a
little more in low-light shooting with its 2.8 lens. Razor sharp in the 4x6
or 4x7 formats.
The APS cameras are most handy in the evenings at restaurants etc. when I
just don't want to haul around a 35mm rig. They capture the moments
perfectly, and I daresay nobody can tell which format was used. A big key,
in my mind, is to stay within the limits of the flash if flash is used. If I
intend to make 8x10 or bigger enlargements, then I tote the 35mm stuff. But
I almost always have an APS camera in a pocket even if I am carrying the
bigger rig.
Ken

This points out an aps feature that is often overlooked. If you don't
have the camera with you then you can't take a picture at all. APS is a
perfect fit for casual non-professional use.

Dale

Absolutely correct. I have an Elph Jr. that carries in a pager-sized
pouch on my belt. It has a razor-sharp four element f2.8 non-zoom
lens that gives a very good account of itself. My main camera is a
Canon A1, but anymore, I take many more pictures with the Elph. I
usually set it to "C" format so I get 4 x 6 prints back. When I mix
up 4 x 6 prints from both cameras, I have to look at the backs to tell
which camera they came from -- even with 400 film.

The A1 is a necessity for close-ups, night shots and other difficult
situations where full control and thru-the-lens viewing is essential,
but for hiking in the woods and casual sightseeing, the convenience
and compact size of the Elph is unbeatable. Not to mention far less
financial risk if something happens to it.

DaveT