Old March 1st 05, 04:19 PM
Alan Browne

Chadwick wrote:

I just read in Amateur Photographer that Fuji are to permanently cease
production of Velvia 50 in a year's time. Apparently they can't get one
of the magic ingredients.

There will be an ISO 100 replacement (not to be confused with the
already existing 100F) which will have all the saturation of Velvia 50.

Charlie Waite (UK landscape pro) says he knows of people who will buy
up £5000 of the outgoing 50 and freeze it.

Film is already frozen up to well over 50 deg C. You mean cold store.

I'll probably buy a couple bricks myself and store as cold as reasonably
possible (in a deep freezer). I shoot about 5 rolls of Velvia 50 a year, so a
couple bricks will last many years...

One rule of thumb (and probably more myth than fact) is that for every 10°C
below fridge temp, the storage life of unexposed slide film is doubled. So at
-17°C the storage life would be something on the order of 10 years.

OTOH, the new 100F is pretty good, and the 100 should be very close to the
classic in color and grain. Probably not worth getting too worked up over
conserving the classic version.

Cheers,
Alan.