Old January 25th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Default Playing with PTGui (Lake Panorama)

On Jan 25, 9:45 am, That Rich wrote:
I took 4 shots and stitched them with PTGui.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...6562812&size=l

Perhaps I'm wrong but it seems one could get essentially the same
image using a 20mm lens.

Well perhaps he doesn't *have* a 20mm lens... At some point, every
photographer is gunna run out of lens width, and then what technique
should they use...?

(And stitching is often done simply to increase pixel count, and
therefore enlargability.)

I also got this HDR from the same location

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...ext=photostrea...

Again, seems the same can be accomplished either with patience or a
grad ND.

Patience? How does that get the same effect? (O;

Does a typical gND give you a six stop range? That's what Fr M was
using. HDR has:
- essentially no limit to the dynamic range (other than that of the
camera, your patience and how fast the scene may change..)
- no limitation on where/how the effect is applied

With gNDs you are stuck with whatever f-stop range the gND(s) have.
With gND's you cannot selectively apply the effect to individual areas
With gND's you are (pretty much) stuck with the available gradient
width and position

I've seen some awful gND shots, where the gradient was so obvious it
hurt. I concede there are far more bad examples of HDR around (even
done some myself, but I don't display them!), but that comes with any
new technology. There are now far more bad pictures around, too,
because they are so easy to take and display. But that doesn't mean
that new techniques are not valuable.

Digital has made a lot of *photographers* computer *experts*.

The glass is half empty?

(O: