Old January 24th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,aus.photo
Father McKenzie

Default Playing with PTGui (Lake Panorama)

wrote:
On Jan 24, 9:47 pm, Father McKenzie
wrote:
As you all know I have enjoyed playing with HDR but I love pano's.
Tonight I was grabbing some shots for HDR and decided to get a pano.

I took 4 shots and stitched them with PTGui.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...6562812&size=l

I also got this HDR from the same location

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...ext=photostrea...

Thank you all for your comments on my posts over the last few weeks.

Only new (just on a year) to photography and loving the learning of it all.

Great images! You ability to use HDR to get excellently exposed
sunsets is a lesson to us all - maybe a few more details of your
methodology (esp. how many shots, how you decide on your exposure
choices) might be in order..? (O;

Thanks Mark, A lot of people don't like HDR but I am really enjoying it.
At first I was like everyone else and made spooky looking HDR but
recently I have been playing around to make it look 'natural' or as
natural as can be.

All my HDR are 3 shots using the 400d bracketing tool and I naromally go
3 stops up and down. I then play around in photomatrix, i look at it's
auto setting then move the slide to the far end then back till it is how
i like it. I do this on each setting then send it through to photoshop
to straighten or trim.

Two tiny nitpicks - I think a bit of straightening of the boat masts
would help (PTGUI should be able to help do this, or alternatively
make sure you shoot with camera level, not pointing up*..

This one was 3 shots down and 3 shots up. To be honest by the time did
this it was about bed time so it was a bit of a rush job. As I stated
a while back I am new to PTG so I will try out the additional settings
on this one tonight to try and straighten the masts.

-maybe use a
wider angle if you need lots of sky), and in the second one I'm just
not quite sure about your decision to put that guy smack bang in the
highlight - he just looks a little odd... (O;

I took a few shots along the foreshore and I actually liked the
silhouette. I will post one from a bit further down.

* I suspect you know this, but someone reading this might not... So
apologies if it sounds like I'm lecturing! (O;

No not at all, I will take any help on board.