Old January 5th 06, 04:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Hugin and Autopano-sift on a Mac

On 4 Jan 2006 19:23:08 -0800, wrote:
Anyone ever seen this, and know a solution?
I can work around this by running autopano from the command line (or
picking the points manually), but it's sort of irritating that things
don't work the way they should.

I use Hugin on Linux. I never got anything involving Mono to work
properly - so I use Autopano rather than Autopano-SIFT. Whatever the
case, Autopano-SIFT never worked right from within Hugin.
Autopano works fairly well for me - though it makes occasional errors
that throw Hugin off, so I always do a quick visual check of every pair
and look for outliers.
How is the stability of Hugin for you? Have you used it much? It works
pretty well for me, but I've gotten semi-random issues with bugs and
the interface... segfault here, crazy stuff there, whatever.

Hugin is pretty good stability-wise, though the optimizer has a nasty
tendency to explore false minima in strange parts of parameter space.
The preview of the pano I'm working with now has a habit of looking like
a rollercoaster (up and down and up and down) unless I'm careful to
do the initial optimizations a few at a time.

I was under the impression that Autopano was not available for the Mac;
if nothing else, I got a nasty message to that effect from Hugin when I
tried to select it in the preferences.

I am impressed with Hugin performance-wise. PanoramaMaker, the cheap
commercial software that came with my camera, took forever and a half to
do anything with my current pano (11 5MP images forming a single 360
view), whereas Hugin is fast enough that trial-and-error is feasible.
Hardware is a Mac Powerbook G4/867 with 640 megs of RAM.

-dms