Old July 19th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.www.software
Scott W

Default What program is best at JPEG compression?

wrote:
Are some graphics programs better than others for compressing JPEG?
A friend swears that Image Ready is the best for getting the
smallest file with same quality.
But I see a few companies have made utilities purely for
compressing pictures, and claim they obtain better
compression than the top tier graphics programs.
I presume there are different numerical routines used by
different companies in their software, but I would guess
maybe 5% variation in file size at best.
I know there was a comparison done several years ago,
but the website with the pictures seems to be kaput.
(
www.imagecompress.com ?)
Is there a recent comparison of different programs to see
who offers the best compression?
That is, best quality for same size, or smallest size
for same quality.

I have a program called Advanced JPEG Compressor, it gives you far more
control in how the compression is does and allow you to use different
amounts of compression in different areas of the image. It can do a
better job, but takes a fair bit of use to use and the gains are fairly
small. I only use it when posting to the web and where I am really
trying to limit the file size of the photo.

Scott