Old November 11th 04, 01:31 AM
David J Taylor

Lou wrote:
[]
The Nikon 8800 sounds like a great camera, but no final review that I
can find. What scares me about it is that users are commenting about
how
long it takes to write a picture to the card. Do you have any helpful
comments on your Nikon camera use? Do they take really sharp pictures
and how
is the zoom? How about purple fringing because my Canon does much more
of
that than my friends that have Olympus cameras?

I don't use RAW so the time to write to the card is not a factor. The
Normal quality JPEG is quite adequate for that I do. The Nikon cameras I
have used give no cause for complaint about image quality, and the
Panasonic with its Leica lens is good as well. Purple fringing can easily
be removed now using Paint Shop Pro version 9 (just out), so it too is no
longer an issue. Probably the best image quality is from the Nikon 8400.
The one feature I would like is a zoom ring rather than push buttons,
though. It's difficult to get the framing just as you want it.

I don't know how I feel about Panasonic for a camera.

[]

The name sounds like TV or Hi-Fi, I agree. At least the lens comes from
Leica! Can tell you more about reliability in a few months, but at least
the user forums aren't littered with people complaining...

[]
I thought I would choose a camera I wanted now and wait until a new
generation is introduced and buy my choice then when the price has
fallen a little. Even waiting 2 or 3 months makes a difference in
price.

Like anything "digital", there will always be a better, newer, cheaper
whatever model out in a few months. Using your logic, you could buy the
previous generation of camera now at a very favourable price - another
alternative!

Enjoy your decision-making!

Cheers,
David