Old May 15th 14, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Lightroom and Aperture, shared library?

On 2014-05-14 21:55:38 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

I guess you missed the point of what I was saying. I am not a stranger
to the Apple image management system. I don¹t like like, so I don¹t use
it.

then turn it off.

You don't read what others write do you?
I don't use iPhoto (dumped), or Aperture (Never bought or installed),
but I know how they work. Once upon a time I had iPhoto on one of my
Macs, I believe it is still installed on my old "Goose-neck G4".

you don't have to have iphoto manage your photos if you don't want it
to.

I don't. I fixed that little issue.

If you followed what I said, I use LR5 as my workflow import tool, and
I maintain a separate RAW file archive which remains unmolested.

i did follow it.

No you didn't! You wouldn't have revisited this whole thing with your
*nospam knows best* pedantry if you did.

the part you got wrong is that you can set iphoto to
not manage the library and then the photos can be wherever you want,
arranged in any way you want. iphoto will still manage the content, but
via links to the photos.

I got nothing wrong, I dumped iPhoto years ago. I have been using
Lightroom since the Beta.

the choice is up to the user.

....and I made mine. I use Lightroom 5 + PS CC. I have used LR since the
Beta and I started with PS7.

there's no real advantage in using two asset managers. pick one and
stick with it.

Once again, if you had read what I had said above, my recommendation to
Jonas since he is a CC subscriber, was to move to a LR5 + PS CC
workflow.

and even if he's not a subscriber.

Jonas was an Aperture + PS user before he subscribed to the CC. Now he
is paying for LR5 as part of his CC package and is trying to figure out
if he can us both Aperture & LR in his workflow. I don't believe it is
practical. He should abandon Aperture and adopt an LR5+ PS CC workflow.

lightroom is definitely the better product.

aperture is not worth bothering with. it hasn't been updated in a long
time and many people think it's a dead product. apple is also slower to
update for new cameras.

adobe's raw support is also much better than apple's and if someone
wants to use photoshop with their asset manager, then lightroom is the
best choice as its integration is seamless.

on the other hand, iphoto and aperture integrate well with idevices,
which lightroom does not do. however, that can be worked around.

I have been doing this for some time and I can navigate my way around
my Macs , Lightroom and Photoshop.

as have i.

Savageduck