Old January 7th 13, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Default Lens for old 35mm Nikon SLR

Scott Schuckert wrote:

As stated, the 50mm "E" series lens is probably the best choice.
However, if you're stubborn (even foolish) about getting the absolute
slimmest lens, Nikon DID make the 45mm f/2.8 GN Nikkor, which was
indeed VERY shallow. It can't be fitted as manufactured, and Nikon no
longer offers the necessary AI conversion. But some lenses available
have already been modified, and some places will still do an "informal"
modification.

Nikon did sell a modification kit to convert it to AI. I had one. Since
I worked at a camera repair shop at the time, I had it profesionaly
converted to AI by grinding down spots on the apeture ring, and then
when the kit arrived it was converted using a new apeture ring.

Nikon later sold a version with the FM3. It was very pricey and relatively
rare. It was AIs, the converted ones were standard AI. While Nikon did sell
NOS (new old stock) AI lenses long after they went exclusively to AF,
it was probably the last AI lens designed and manufactured.

It was also the only Nikon lens where the focus ring moved in the opposite
direction of the Nikon standard.

Geoff.

"Owning a smartphone: Technology's equivalent to learning to play
chopsticks on the piano as a child and thinking you're a musician."
(sent to me by a friend)