Old June 19th 04, 03:04 AM
Bob Monaghan

Default MF costs more cuz its much better ;-)

Hi again Mike,

Yes, but I will add that the reason underlying this "convergence" is that
the human eye in older folks (ahem) drops from 8+ lpmm (younger) to 6 lpmm
(older) or so. So when folks can't see the differences between a 5.6 lpmm
print from a 6MP camera and an 8 lpmm print from a wet negative print,
they may well be right ;-) The differences are still there, and some folks
can see them ;-)

Similarly, the 8x10" print size is probably related to such quality
issues, rather than being its own thing? ;-) We print to 8x10" because it
was found in early testing (Barnack at Leica?) that 35mm could just barely
support high quality prints to that size which were no worse than LF or MF
images of the same size (again, due to the Leica standard, which in turn
goes back to the human eye and 1 arc-minute resolution etc yielding 8 lpmm
on the print standard ;-)

And of course, 300 DPI was picked because of this 6 lpmm range result,
yes?

grins bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *