Old February 6th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ken Lucke

Default Exif data and GPS data.

In article , Ben Brugman
wrote:

Usually, it's not simply time, it's distance and/or time, with the time
interval getting larger as you slow down.

logpoints are made at very variable time distances. Sometimes every second.
So this can be memory consuming.
(The sony 'dongle' is doing it once every 15 seconds).

Yes, that's what I was saying - as far as the variable time... but the
time varies inversely proportional to the speed (although I don't know
the exact algorithm).

My program noted in its documentation that this _sometimes_ happens
with _some_ models from _some_ manufacturers... so I'd test yours to
make sure - yours may not actually do this. I've always just d/l'd the
data directly using the program, so I have't followed my own advice
here for my unit.

With the garmin software the log shows time stamps the saved tracks
are condensed and do not show timestamps.

Hmmm... I'll have to check that on my 60CSX. Like I said, I haven't
actually checked that with my model.

My Garmin 60CSX only records points while moving - of course, sometimes
all GPS units "think" that they are moving even when standing still,
due to a little drift in their accuracy/satellite lock, but I can leave
mine on for days and still only have one track (not full). But usually
track data becomes much more "sparse" when units are not moving.

See the points below about buying the Sony with built-in GPS.

It's a seperate 'dongle' sized GPS something the size of a large USB stick.
It works independend from the camera.

OK, I didn't realize that, I thought you were talking about a built-in
GPS system.

I don't remember what camera you said you were using, but Canon's
utility that comes with their DSLRs allows you to sync it to your
computer's clock, which of course you should have set up for syncing
with NIST via the internet or modem. Look for something in your
software (Nikon?) similar. The GPS, of course, syncs up when it
acquires satellites.

When in the field you have to sync the camera to the GPS.
(And anyway GPS time should be far more accurate than NIST via the
internet.)

Those are both true, but I was going under the situation of a separate
Camera/GPS that weren't communicating directly. So you are correct for
your situation.

No my 'main' camera is a D70, but I shoot with a pocket as wel. Even if
the
camera has a connection. The vista only has an RS232 connection and it's
unlikely that it will iterface with other products. (For the Mac an
interface

Ah, there's your model - check with any utility software that came with
it to see if you can sync it with your computer.

The time sync is not to important for me. Sync in the field with the GPS.

Te only reason I worry about the time sync _is_ for the software to
sync up the pix with the GPS data - otherwise, unless I was shooting
something for court or something similar, I couldn't care less if the
time was off by a minute or two.

Question, does anybody know how the Sony (camera) GPS devise performs in
the
field. (The Vista for example can loose the 'signal' or become less
accurate, depending
how you hold the device or the surrounding.

This is actually typical - even dense trees can sometimes cause a GPS
unit to lose lock on the satellites, as they are low-power,
line-of-sight signals.

The Vista on a neckstrap against
your
body is not the best configuration, urban area's can be a problem and
foilage can be

If it's /that/ difficult to keep it locked on the satellites, you might
want to look for a new unit. Technology has improved them tremendously
within the last few ears. My 60CSX can usually stay locked on 6 or 8
satellites (out of 12 channels) even downstairs in my basement
(concrete) and sitting next to my computer (and despite the resulting
interference that comes from it and the surrounding electronic
equipment). I have no trouble at all in "urban" areas (with the unit
mounted next to the left windshield frame on the dashboard).

I am aware that the 60CSX with the sirf chipset and an 'external' antenna
is far more capable than the Vista. But then there is a price difference as
wel. So for economic reasons (and size) as wel I have choosen the Vista.
(With maps it was less than 1/3 of the price of a 60CSX).

I don't have the external antenna, so that doesn't come into the
performance difference, and I was only pointing out that if you are
having diffictulties in normal circumstances with your unit, it might
be time for a change. "On a neckstrap against to your body" seems like
a normal circumstance that you'd want it to perform under to me.

a problem. How does the Sony cope under these circumstances ?)

Can't answer that, but I can reccommend that you stick to seperate
units if you are looking to move up later - not only are you going to

The Sony unit is a very seperate unit, it can be attached to the camera,
because it is small, but it's seperate.

Again, my misunderstanding about the configuration you were discussing.

Not saying "Don't buy thhe Sony", just sayng "think about the
ramifications long term".

I like the idea of the Sony, small, no buttons or screen, just a logger,
but then how good is it ? (You can not check the workings of it, and
because of the size won't perform as any Garmin in the 60 range).

This, I have no clue about, so hopefully others will dive into this
thread with actual working experience.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard