Old January 27th 04, 10:07 PM
Francis A. Miniter

Default Is neon light a problem

Gary Beasley wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:11:24 GMT, Fabio BERETTA
wrote:

I am finally decided and started building the darkroom in my laundry.

During a light-tight check I have noticed that the neon tubes that I use
for the illumination of the room is still visible for a while even
without power.

Can this cause fogging of the paper? If this is the case I shuould find
the way to cover them during darkroom use.

TY
Fabio BERETTA
Lecco - ITALY

It's not likely to be a problem but to be on the safe side as well as
a safelight have a small tungsten white light for inspection near the
sink and don't use the flourescents until the printing session is
over. Allow about five minutes of lights out before opening any film
in the darkroom too.

I think that your suggestion is overly conservative. While a wait of a
few seconds (maybe 15 or so) after a fluorescent light goes out may be
in order, no more is needed. I have an under cabinet fluorescent light
above a work area and I have never fogged any negatives. I also have
incandescent lights for general lighting of the room.

Remember, when you expose the film in the camera, if it is pitch black
outside, the film records nothing. So, if it is pitch black in the
darkroom, you can expect the same. If you are worried about light waves
beyond what the eye can see, it is probably beyond what the film can
see, unless it is an infrared film or high red sensitivity film.

Francis A. Miniter