Old May 28th 10, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner

Default Olympus dalliance with DSLRs over?

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Bruce wrote:
So there's going to be an "E-5"?

Meanwhile, Olympus
will support (but not invest in) the E-System for the sake of existing
users.

Hey, don't take it from me.
"Toshiyuki Terada, or 'Toshi', manages the Olympus SLR product planning
team in Tokyo, Japan.
All Toshi would say was that his team are definitely working on the next
generation of Four Thirds products...
Speculation that Olympus was abandoning conventional optical viewfinder
DSLRs in as little as two years was also dismissed.
I asked Toshi if, now that the Pen E-PL1 had been launched, the product
development resources within Olympus would now be weighted more towards
Four Thirds and the E-System line. Toshi's reaction was almost one of
curiosity; implying surprise that I thought that R&D had been pulled off
Four Thirds in the first place. "Many technological developments are
common to both and new features that you see in our Pen cameras will
also be applied to future E-System cameras," Toshi explained, adding:
"We could not have separated our Micro Four Thirds and Four Thirds
development effort; it would not have worked that way.""
http://fourthirds-user.com/2010/03/lunch_with_olympus_manager_of_slr_product_planning .php

That interview was published on March 17th of this year, only a little
over 60 days ago. But hey, you think whatever you want.

Under these circumstances, the only DSLR purchases that make any sense
are those from Canon and Nikon. None of the other brands can be
guaranteed to be in production in three years' time.

I would be willing to lay money on the proposition that Olympus will
still be making DSLRs in three years.

--
Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me