Old December 5th 19, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

Default Repairing carbon fiber - adhesive recommendations?

On 05/12/2019 00:13, RichA wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 December 2019 17:33:50 UTC-5, newshound wrote:
On 04/12/2019 12:18, -hh wrote:

I do know that my next step is to unpack the gear and check to see what material
the interface plate's "plug" is made out of; don't believe it to be carbon fiber as
it appears machined ... but black in color: I suspect it is anodized aluminum?

Similarly, what solvents to use to clean the surfaces will also need checking as well.

-hh

Solvent: isopropanol or other alcohol, acetone will also work.

Glue: two part epoxy.

Acetone will dissolve the surface even more. Methyl Hydrate (100% wood alcohol) is the best cleaner. You can buy it in a hardware store.

I'm not sure which "surface" you are referring to. Acetone attacks a
number of polymers, but even in those cases *wiping* with acetone is a
good way to get a clean surface that epoxy or cyanoacrylate will bond to.

It may damage the finish of something that originally looked nice.