Old April 16th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Stefan Patric

Default Suitable tripod for Pentax 6x7

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 09:52:53 -0700, Christopher Tidy wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of moving into medium format photography when money
allows. Currently I shoot 35 mm with a Nikkormat FT3, which I love,
but there are times when I would like better resolution for my best
pictures.

I use a Manfrotto 190B tripod with the 168 ball head. Do people think
this tripod is sturdy enough to carry a Pentax 6x7? The reason I ask
is because I recently acquired a job lot of surveyor's tripods. They
are heavy and would require the addition of some kind of ball joint to
make them suitable for photography, but they're the sturdiest tripods
I've ever seen.

The 190 series tripod is a borderline choice for use with most medium
format, except for a light one like some of the 645 reflex cameras, which
aren't much bigger or heavy than a full size 35mm. The Pentax 67 falls
in this category as does the Mamiya 7. The Mamiya RB/RZ 6x7 does not. If
it will do only depends on the circumstances of your shots. Long
exposures 1 sec or longer? Probably not. Shutter speeds faster than about
1/10 sec., then with a sturdy enough head, it should do. (Hang a 4 kilo
weight on the tripod to weight it down. Works wonders on a too light
tripod.) Now as to the head....

I'm not familiar with that 168 model ball head, but I'm assuming it's
quite small, only suitable for 35mm. Take a look at the Manfrotto 484RC2
(borderline choice for medium format) or the 488RC2, a much better choice.
Both have quick release, which I couldn't live without, and the 488 has
panning capability separate from the ball locking itself. Really comes in
handy when you want to make a slight horizontal framing adjustment and not
affect the leveling.

Oh, and take those manufacturer's "maximum load" capacities with a grain
of salt. I usually divide them by 2 for a more realistic value.

I'm just wondering if it's worth me keeping one for the future. I plan
to sell the rest of them, so if anyone in England wants one for
photography, let me know. Right now I have plenty!

Yes, keep one. They have wooden legs, right? (Best type of tripod if you
ever get the bug to go to 8x10 or larger. The wood dampens vibration
better than metal, and in the winter, your bear hand won't freeze to it
when you pick it up ;-) ) However, I consider them too large, heavy and
unwieldy for anything smaller than an 8x10 camera, which itself is large,
heavy and unwieldy -- a perfect match. ;-)

Stef