Old May 26th 14, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

Default Bad CF card

On 5/25/2014 9:34 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 25 May 2014 21:00:10 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

what ends up happening is you swap during a break leaving a fair number
of photos left. it all depends just how tight you want to cut it.

Kids? What a ridiculous claim that shooting
photographs of kids - doing anything - doesn't present a time to swap
cards.

depends what they're doing. most of the time, sure, there will be a
lull where one can swap. but as above, that won't always be the case.

I've never seen any event of any kind where the well prepared (cards in
pocket) couldn't manage the swap at some point.

at some point sure, but what ends up happening is the card may not be
completely filled when it's swapped out.

that won't matter if it's just a few photos, but's not always just a
few photos. sometimes it can be 50 or more, which is a fair amount of
space that will go unused. it all depends just how tight you want to
cut it.

for the person who said he uses 2 gig cards, he be doing a lot of
swapping that otherwise would not be needed. why swap if you don't have
to?

You're making an assumption that is not based on reality. A person
with any experience at all in photography is not going to be in a
position where he needs to do "a lot of swapping". A person who has
several two gig cards is more likely to be the type of photographer
who does not come close to filling a two gig card in a shoot.

After one or two experiences where a card was filled before the end of
a shoot, and that person would buy larger cards. Cards are not that
expensive, and Peter - the person in question here - certainly can
afford to buy a larger card if he feels it would be better.

I was not the person who said I use 2 g cards. I did say I did not have
enough cards. I stupidly left my extra cards in the car. An opportunity
for a shoot came up, which could not be repeated, and I ran out of card
space.

I use an 8 gig card, and did the largest number of images I've ever
done in one day - 285 - at the school event Friday. My camera says I
can shoot 147 more images on that card. (I shoot RAW) I had a
back-up 8 gig card with me, but never needed it.

If I was routinely filling even 60% of the my 8 gig card, I'd be at
store buying a 16 gig card. My usual shoot at a baseball game is less
than one-third of the capacity of the 8 gig card.

You frequently - very frequently - say "it's not about me". Yet, the
assumptions you make are all about you and not about what others see
their needs to be.

--
PeterN