Old May 26th 14, 12:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Bad CF card

On 2014.05.25, 20:29 , Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 25 May 2014 09:14:54 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2014-05-24 23:00:31 +0000, Alan Browne
said:

On 2014.05.24, 10:49 , PeterN wrote:
On 5/24/2014 8:06 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2014.05.23, 19:27 , nospam wrote:
In article , Scott Schuckert
wrote:

That's one of the reasons I use smallish 2 GB SD cards - so as to
keep
all my eggs out of one basket.

either you have a relatively low megapixel camera or you don't mind
managing a ****load of cards.

and by having more cards, the chance of any one of them failing is
higher.

Not a useful factoid. The chances that you have two failed cards in
the
field on the same day are vanishingly small - unless the camera is
causing the damage which would be a different issue altogether.

The higher chance of failure issue you describe is useful for, say, a
twin engine airplane. With two engines spinning at the same time, the
chances of an engine failure are twice that of a single engine
airplane.
OTOH, the single engine pilot is then out of options.

While you are correct, Twin engine planes can still fly on one engine.

An awful lot of Twin Comanche pilots can't attest from the grave on
that one, unfortunately. Same (to a lesser degree) for a lot of
other piston powered twins...

In a CG aft, gross weight case, critical side failure at a high
altitude/high temperature - engine failure just after take off can be
a very, very dicey thing...

My father was happy to be flying a P-38L with twin engines in July 1944,
and not a P-47D, or P-51D.

From the 9th Fighter Squadron History:
“Until the 8th, the missions flown by the squadron were very prosaic

You've quoted that before. Larger twins with huge power margin like the
P-38 don't represent the light twin with critical side failure case
well. They have so much spare power, that they can fly through a
failure with little issue. Going on to complete a mission is a bit
ballsy, and certainly not approved in any sober military organization.

Another issue, at least with a P-38 is that the CG range is narrower (no
passengers in the back, baggage, front-fuel-burn v. passengers who don't
evaporate) so getting caught with a failed fan at aft cg is much less of
an issue.

You may be interested in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCUk2L7RTnE
in which Keith Skilling tells of the circumstances in which the
Mosquito can develop 'horns'. Keith Skilling is a _very_ experienced
pilot as you can tell from the list of aircraft he talks about having
flown. To that list you can add various Boeing aircraft including 747
and probably 777.

I don't like youtubes where I can find written accounts of things. And
there are a lot of such. One of the better 'catalogs' of such was
section called "I learned about flying from that" in Flying magazine
(maybe they still have it) where pilots would recount (first hand)
things that happened (usually emergencies) that changed their
perspective or procedures or attitude. Some of these stories were funny
in their way (if you forgive the terror involved), some plain procedural
(what went wrong - how we got our butts out of it).

- a Cessna pilot who didn't examine the wing root cabin air inlet before
start up. After he took off and turned towards the sun he opened the
vent inside and in came the wasps.

- a 727 Captain recounts entering an inverted dive (with a full
complement of passengers) and extending the gear, flaps, slats, etc. at
high Mach number...

- Gordon Baxter recounts a gear up landing in his Mooney - right down to
his daughter's exclamation ('sheeeeeeee - it').

- a pilot of a one-of-a-kind research aircraft decides on a "clock
based" fuel management strategy - if the minute hand is to the right,
select right; to the left, select left. But this ignored some
peculiarity of the fuel system vents (that I don't recall) and he ended
up with a lot of fuel dumped early int he flight making his over water
flight too short to make destination (an alternate was close enough).

Those are from memory - I read hundreds of them (that's just Flying mag).

There's the Canadian aviation safety letter that dissects accidents in
specific detail.

AW&ST usually have incident/accident reports in very good detail.

etc. Youtubes are just too time consuming most of the time.

--
I was born a 1%er - I'm just more equal than the rest.