Old April 16th 17, 04:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Film scanners?

In article , isw
wrote:

The only thing that I can add to the mostly excellent advice already
given is to purchase VueScan. It is far superior to any of the software
that comes with scanners.

definitely.

the bundled scanner software is mostly garbage.

Possible trouble and annoyance aside, can you *really* get better
results from "superior" scanner software vs. the supplied app followed
by a good dose of Photoshop

yes

or GIMP?

even easier to surpass.

Some years back when I was converting my slides, I evaluated VueScan and
some other after-market tool, but the result wasn't anything to shout
about. Just moved the effort and twiddling from post-processing to
scan-time, where (for me) it was far less convenient.

some things are best done at scan time, such as vuescan's equivalent of
digital ice.