Old April 15th 17, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

Default Film scanners?

On 4/15/2017 8:22 AM, newshound wrote:
I realise that this question doesn't have a simple answer, but it is
time I started scanning some of my old 35 mm slides and negatives
(mostly b&w).

I would really welcome some comments or experience on hardware in the
"keen amateur" price bracket.

I know I can also "farm it out" but I'm interested in doing some myself
at least to get a feel for what results to inspect. Is there anything
which stands out towards the budget end in terms of value for money or
ease of use?

Thanks in advance

Steve

You've gotten a few good suggestions, so I'll just expand on some of
them and add something to consider. I would suggest giving up on the
notion of getting a feel for what results you might get if you were to
farm the work out to a pro. Professional hardware, skill and experience
can make a big difference in the results.

What do you want to do with the scans? If only to view on a computer
screen, there will be little to gain from high-resolution dedicated film
scanners. The flatbed type will be more than adequate and easier to use.

How much time do you want to spend? Dedicated film scanners such as the
Nikon CoolScan models are not quick.

--
best regards,

Neil