Old April 20th 17, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Film scanners?

In article , Phillip Helbig (undress to
reply) wrote:

I moved to SLR digital photography in 2008 (Pentax K10 D) and later
bought a compact digital camera (Ricoh GR). I used film 1983--2008
(Ricoh KR5 Super). I probably have about 1500 photos made with film. I
still have the negatives, like the 10 × 15 prints in plastic envelopes
in a ring binder.

I want to scan the film (presumably both easier and better than scanning
the prints).

you definitely want to scan the film (or slides). only scan prints if
you don't have the former.

What resolution should I choose?

scan at the highest resolution your scanner supports. you can always
downsample it later.

if you want better quality than what you scanned, you will need to
rescan, which is a pain.

What is the resulting size of the JPEG file?

that depends on the quality of the jpeg, but you do *not* want to scan
to jpeg. that's a final step, not initial step.

Should I save some raw format as well? If so, which one? What would be
the file size?

scan to tiff, and its size depends on the scanner resolution.

I notice that the prints from the first couple of rolls of film have
faded, but those after still look OK---probably a difference in quality
of the prints rather than age (since the difference in age is only a few
weeks for prints almost 35 years old). Should a standard scan of the
negatives result in correct colours? Or does some correction need to be
done? (I used mostly Kodak ISO 200 film, occasionally 400 or 100 and/or
AGFA.)

all film has faded. how much depends on the film.

I have practically no experience with digital image processing. I would
thus prefer to get this done in a shop, rather than doing it myself.
What would be a fair price for scanning all the negatives?

shop around. price isn't everything.

If some
colour correction needs to be done, is this something that I could
expect a shop to do?

that depends on the shop and will cost more, but keep in mind that
they're guessing because they weren't there and don't really give a
**** beyond looks acceptable.