Old March 9th 13, 04:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

Default Nikon did it again, increasing the price of replacement lens by $1000

Rob wrote:
On 9/03/2013 7:49 PM, Me wrote:
On 9/03/2013 7:07 p.m., Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
PeterN wrote:
On 3/5/2013 9:22 PM, Rob wrote:
On 6/03/2013 12:32 PM, PeterN wrote:
my 80-499 focuses a lot faster on my D800 than on the D300,

Why? although I haven't tried is it a better motor?

Not sure. I thnk is has to do with the sensor.

The bigger motor, allowed by a better battery.

The D800 has the same battery as the D7000.
I tested D70/90/300/700 using a screw-driven macro lens from closest to
infinity, and the motor drive speed was identical (ie - not just
"close"), despite it being "common knowledge" that the more "pro" bodies
had stronger AF motors.
Sure, the D800 might have a faster AF drive motor, but TBH I doubt it,
as until now Nikon seem to reserve this for pro models with integrated
grip.

batteries should have no effect.

The D800 can be fitted with a MB-D12 battery grip, which
allows use of AA cells or the same EN-EL18 battery used
by the D4. Because of that, the D800 can have a more
powerful built in focus motor, and it certainly can detect
which battery is in use. It may or may not have firmware
that controls use of full power to the AF motor depending
on the actual battery being used.

I use a D800 powered by EN-EL18 batteries, and while I
haven't made any attempt to measure auto focus timing
with AF-D lenses I do use three different AF-D lenses
with both a D800 and a D4 and have not noticed any
difference.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)