Old March 29th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Looking for suggestion on how to organize a chest of photos, slides , negatives spanning 30 years

"William Graham" wrote in message
[SNIP]

In my experience, the best way to organize and store things is to put them
anywhere you want that is convenient, and do all your organizing on your
computer.....I use "excel", (a spreadsheet program", and just number the
slides/photos in any order you please. (I number them as I get them from

the
processing lab.) Then, on the spreadsheet, I have a column for their

number,
one for their content, one for the date they were taken, and one for their
location. Most of the small stuff I have is in small plastic boxes with

blue
snap-on lids that I buy at Wall-Mart for about $2.00 each. These are
numbered with big glue-backed labels, so I can see them on a shelf from
across the room. Then, I have other stuff in the larger boxes, and even my
really big stuff in the big blue-lidded plastic bins that are about 2

feet,
x 16 inches, x about 12 inches high. All are labeled, and stored in

gorilla
racks, or bookcases somewhere that is heated and dry throughout the

winter.
(Don't put your good stuff, like photos in a garage or storage space

without
heat....It will be ruined) But the chief thing about my method is that the
actual stuff can be anywhere, and mixed together.....For example, In one
large box I have a pair of binoculars, some down mittens, a basketball, a
pair of boots, and some other stuff.....I could even put some photographs

in
this box, if I needed to)

Am I the only person who's wondering what 'cranky old' (his words) William
ever does with a basket-ball?

;-)

Peter