Old December 29th 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

Default "Assigning" vs. "Matching" a color profile

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 11:11:08 -0800, isw wrote:

This is on a Mac, BTW.

I have a large number of scanned slides bearing a color profile
(assigned by the scanner) that gives iPhoto fits; I'd like to change it.

Using ColorSync, I can "assign" a different profile, or I can "match" to
a different profile, but I do not understand which I should do, or (more
importantly) what the difference is between the two. Further, I don't
know which profile I should move to: "Generic RGB"; "sRGB"; or what? The
images are my own, and will not be displayed on the web. I'd like to
keep them at the highest possible "accuracy" (whatever that means).

A whole lot of googling has produced many descriptions of *how* to do
these things, but nothing on *why* or *which*.

Can anybody shed some light, please?

I've seen the other give and take on this and believe a fundamental
concept is missing here. The profile assigned to the image by the
scanner contains the information of how the colors mapped by the
scanner correspond to the reference color space. A color space aware
app is needed to read this. This then gets translated into the working
color space of the app. Finally a monitor or printer profile is used
to again translate this into the monitor or printer color space.

Simply assigning a different color profile is not the answer. You need
to convert to a different profile and then resave that image with the
new profile. Not knowing anything about iPhoto I don't know if "match"
to a different profile is what you want here, but suspect it might be.
Check the help file for this function. Note that by doing this you
will actually changing the color data in the image (IIRC)