Old February 20th 08, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

Default Please name the sharpest Nikon lenses

On 2008-02-20 10:04:00 -0800, Bob G said:

I'm switching to Nikon and I would like you to list the three Nikon
lenses (current or not, but AF only) you think are the best in image
quality.

Thanks!

Opinions vary widely. The 55mm f/3.5 micro-Nikkor and the old
Ultra-micro-Nikkor lenses get mentioned a lot in discussions like this.
But none of these are AF.

The fact is, image quality is far more dependent on the photographer
than it is on the lens. Nearly all of Nikon's lens line-up has higher
resolution than any of the sensors, anyway.

Extremely wide and extremely small apertures will cause softness. It is
no longer true that zoom lenses are softer than fixed lenses -- the
extremely sharp 70-200mm f/2.8 AF-D and AF-S VR lenses being proof of
that.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor