Old October 4th 03, 01:01 AM
Bluesea

Default gatherings of people - does a photographer need people permission for commercial purposes

"J C" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:41:08 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

National Geographic certainly played that card with its photo of that
young girl in Afghanistan.

Are you talking about that photo of the girl with the burningly bright
eyes that appears in all their ads?

Was that taken in Afghanistan?

If we're thinking about the same photo, no. While the girl was Afghan, the
photo was taken in a refugee camp in Pakistan.

I ask because I've not subscribed in well over a decade, but I
remember getting that issue. So if your talking about the photo that I
have in mind, its pretty old.

It was taken by Steve McCurry in 1984. Here's a follow-up, dated 3/7/2003,
which includes a photo of her as a woman:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...2_sharbat.html

or, http://tinyurl.com/4tja.

--
~~Bluesea~~