Old January 28th 05, 03:03 PM
C J Campbell

"Tim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear all,

I am about to take the leap to digital and have been looking at the
current range of post £1000/$1000 DLSRs and am opting for the D70.
However I have read in magasines that the pictures taken by the D70
very often need to have levels/contrast fixed in Photoshop. Is this
your experience?

Using the default settings and shooting RAW files, yes. Nikon's engineers in
general seem to prefer a slightly underexposed, desaturated look with a
slightly soft focus. This ensures that the most detail is captured and makes
the picture great to work with in Photoshop, but the unprocessed pictures
are a little muddy. OTOH, many photographers prefer this look and despise
what they regard as the over-saturated, over-exposed trash with jaggy edges
created by the popular consumer cameras.

However, you can adjust all that in the menus and take very printable JPEGs
straight out of the camera with just the look you want.