Old October 1st 04, 08:20 PM
David Littlewood

In article , Susan Phillips
writes
I have an old Canon AE1 camera and was wondering if the flash and
telephoto lens would fit on the new Canon Digital SLR that I am going to
purchase.
*
Thanks for the help if anyone can answer that question!

The lens will not fit, even if the DSLR you buy is a Canon one. The old
manual focus Canon FD mount is completely different from the auto-focus
Canon EF mount used since the late 1980s. You can buy (second hand only
now) an FD - EOS mount adapter, but it is useful only for macro
equipment, as the lens will not focus at infinity - it is in effect an
extension tube.

The flash will probably fit in the hotshoe, but will almost certainly
not fire. I had this issue with an ML-3 ringflash, which was designed
for use with earlier generations of EOS bodies (and thus is probably a
lot newer than your flashgun). There may be a way to make the flash fire
on full power, but this will be highly unsatisfactory - you will get no
metering or auto flash exposure at all.

The best thing to do would be to sell the whole lot as an outfit -
though I doubt you will get much for it - or keep it as a back-up, and
buy new accessories for your DSLR.

I hope it goes well and you enjoy your choice!

David
--
David Littlewood