Old September 21st 04, 06:29 PM
Stephen H. Westin

TP writes:

(Annika1980) wrote:

From: TP

At last, a DSLR to rival 35mm film for most applications - and I say
that having carefully studied all four of Canon's sample images.

Rival it? I'd say you're being a bit conservative. Can you say "Blows film
away?"

No,it doesn't come anywhere near blowing away a 6000 dpi drum scan of
a Fuji Provia 100F slide or NPS negative. Nowhere remotely near.

Could you show us such a scan?

But I do accept that most applications don't need the quality of a
6000 dpi drum scan of a Fuji Provia 100F slide or NPS negative, and
for those applications, the EOS 1Ds MkII does rival film.

Yes, I'd really like to see the detail past 100 cycles per millimeter
on that film. I really doubt that there is much. Looking at the Provia
100F data sheet, the MTF curve doesn't even extend to 100. It goes to
about 59 cycles per millimeter, and it's about 20% at that point,
heading down. Even with a perfect lens and camera, there can't be a
lot at that spatial frequency. Especially in a natural scene.

--
-Stephen H. Westin